Thursday, March 3, 2011

Vatican Warlock Assassins and Kabbalah Mysticism.

This actually has something to do with the whole Charlie Sheen mania. I was thinking about picking up my Pulp project I had put on the back burner (so back burner in fact, I hadn't even purchased the miniatures). I was planning out some purchases for Cold Wars and surfing miniature manufacturers for the minis I will need for my Pulp Warband. Then it hit me:

Vatican Warlock Assassin.

That's right, thanks to the genius of Charlie Sheen (don't do crack kids!), I had found the perfect theme for a Where Heroes Dare warband. Now all I need are the models. That will take some time and some more surfing, but I will be keeping my eye out for good models to represent this awesome winning character.

*For those of you living under a rock, Charlie Sheen has been saying some awesomely insane stuff to his interviewers lately. Regardless of what you think of him, the stuff that has been coming out of his mouth has been epic. One of his quotes: "Guys, it's right there in the thing, duh! We work for the Pope, we murder people. We're Vatican assassins. How complicated can it be? What they're not ready for is guys like you and I and Nails and all the other gnarly gnarlingtons in my life, that we are high priests, Vatican assassin warlocks. Boom. Print that, people. See where that goes."

Charlie you magnificent bastard.

Meanwhile...

I have been planning out my first Pulp warband again, the one I had originally come up with but had never put together. Not quite as cool as Charlie Sheen, but I like the idea enough to stick with it and do it first. The beauty of Where Heroes Dare is that you can quickly and easily put together a warband and it not only doesn't cost much because there aren't that many models, but it is an easy project to get painted up and in the game.

After seeing this miniature in the Monolith Designs Catalog several years ago, I thought the idea of a Rabbi with a stone statue golem would be a great concept for a Pulp warband. The problem was, Monolith Designs minis are 40mm and would not fit with anything else I have (unless this Rabbi was 10 feet tall...). I figured I can still use the golem (if Monolith even sells minis anymore), because that can be any size, and will in fact be even more impressive with the smaller 28mm minis.

Since I like to base things on real people and historical events I went in search of Rabbis on which to base the warband leader. I quickly found that Kabbalah mystics would be the perfect theme and would allow me a lot of elements to pull together for the project. While researching Kabbalah for ideas, I ran across this fellow:

This is Abraham Isaac Kook. He is one of the most famous Kabbalah mystics of the 20th century and lived in the 1920s...the perfect time period for Pulp gaming. With a golem by his side (and maybe some elementals like fire, air, earth, and water) this guy would search the world for sacred and secret knowledge while fighting Nazis and ne'er do wells. With the idea that he would lead a band of men in search of lost artifacts it gave the perfect background to allow him to show up anywhere in the world a Pulp game might take me...including the Center of the Earth.

But The Kookster, as Jayson dubbed him, is a mystic and not a fighter. Besides the golem as a trusty companion and wall of stone to defend him, I needed a few other bullet sponges...err loyal followers to help him. Since the Nazis are the perfect antagonists to this guy, I figured I would be within the spirit of the Pulp world to use the enemies of the Nazis. Last year I watched Defiance, a movie about Jewish Partisans operating in the Belorussia and Poland during WWII led by the Bielski Brothers.




These guys would be perfect companions and guards for Kook's adventures. It puts the timeframe more into WWII than most pulp settings, but for any scenarios earlier than the war, I can just use them as generic Eastern Europeans (or Latvians, which is where Kook is from). Besides, never mind that Kook died in 1935...I can just say he found some "answers" to that whole mortality thing. He is doing God's work after all.

So funky timelines aside, I think this rounds out to make a nice little Pulp warband.

Now...how to model the Kookster. I naturally turned to the Pulp Figures catalog first. Luckily, I found the perfect model to base him on:

This is one of the Sinister Spies from the Pulp Figures Personalities range. It will take a lot of modeling and green stuff to turn him into the Kookster, but I think it will be fun. I will probably remove the pistol and give him a cane, add some buttons and make some changes on the jacket as well as do some work on the beard and add glasses.

For the Golem, I will just use the Monolith Designs figure I mentioned above as is.





For Partisans, I am turning to the Copplestone Castings range of Back of Beyond figures (BoB is a genre of wargaming set in the far east in the 1920s interwar period).

These are perfect:

http://www.copplestonecastings.co.uk/images/bu41.jpg

So that's pretty much it. All I have to do is think of abilities and stat out Kook and I think I have a nice little warband here.

Oh, last year when I got all excited about this project and told Jayson...he worked up this cool pic for me. It'd be a shame to let it go to waste, so here it is. Who knows, maybe now that I put this project in print on the internet I will HAVE to do it. You never know, this could even end up as a series of scenarios we put out as a PDF like Jayson's Kong Fang series.
































And I will get to the Vatican Warlock project, so don't anyone steal the idea...

1 comment:

  1. It's slower to get started on the pulp stuff but trust me, you won't regret it. We've had the most fun we've had in a long time playing it!

    Look on the bright side: you only need to do about a dozen figures or so to get a gang together.

    ReplyDelete